|Berkeley Parents Network|
|Home||Members||Post a Msg||Reviews||Advice||Subscribe||Help/FAQ||What's New|
I have really fond memories of folk dancing many lifetimes ago, and it seems like a great way to move, meet people, spend an evening (perhaps even get my teens to join in...) Wondering about how/where to get started, if there's an on-going group that teaches beginners and then includes them as they get better, what type of dancing is around (as in Israeli, Scottish, and the like)and where to go. We're in North Berkeley but can get around. Thanks for pointing us in the right direction(s). Happy to begin again
www.ashkenaz.com has folk dancing of various sorts, various nights.
there used to be some sort of international dancing at live oak park tuesdays i think too. but i don't have a contact for that.
there is celtic dancing at the starry plough monday nights.
i'm not sure what these are all like, i've had more interest than time to try them--have fun! anon
* Israeli folk dancing: Every Wednesday at the Arlington Community Church, 52 Arlington Ave., Kensington, $5. Warmup/Beginner Teaching 8:00-8:30 PM Intermediate/Advanced Teaching 8:30-9:15 PM Party (no teaching) every fifth week.
* Bay Area Country Dance Society - This group 'promotes, preserves, and teaches traditional English and American music and dance in the San Francisco Bay area.' Check the website for events and weekly dances in Berkeley and beyond. I think there's a Wednesday night contra dance in Berkeley. http://www.bacds.org/
* Ashkenaz http://www.ashkenaz.com/html/calendar.php World dance of all sorts -- check the calendar (click on 'next month' to go beyond August). Balkan, Cajun, Israeli, swing, country-western, and more. I don't see any Israeli dancing on the calendar right now, but they definitely have it.
* Circle dancing http://www.circledancing.com/
* Berkeley Folk Dancers http://www.berkeleyfolkdancers.org/index.asp Dana
-Friday night, 8 - 11 p.m. folk dancing at the Albany Y, 921 Kains Ave., Albany
Also see http://www.berkeleyfolkdancers.org/events.asp for area listings. Folk dancing again
|Home | Post a Message | Subscribe | Help | Search | Contact Us|