UCB Parents Advice about Parenting, Families, & the Community

Caring for Adult with Disability

Advice and recommendations from the UCB Parents mailing list. This page is brought to you by UC Berkeley Parents Network
Back to: Advice about Parenting, Families, & the Community

See also:

  • Advice about Disabled Family Members
    I have an adult (36 year old) sister with a developmental disability. She will probably be moving to Northern California later this year so that my husband and I can begin to take more responsibility for her care as my parents age. She lives independently, drives, and has worked at entry-level jobs in the past, although she is not working now. Caring for my sister presents a daunting-- but unavoidable-- challenge for my immediate family. Does anyone out there have experience caring for an disabled adult in that "in-between" zone (IQ of 80)? Can you tell me about your experiences-- with housing, employment, social services? What has been the impact on your amily and how do you maintain appropriate boundaries? What should I be asking myself as I plan for this change in relationship? Are there web-based or other local community support resources that I should be aware of? Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.
    Someone wanted to know about resources for a sister with a developmental disability who was coming to live here in the Bay Area. I wanted to pass along something that is important for this person to know. If the sister has a diagnosis of a developmental disability (onset prior to age 18) she will be eligible for services through the Regional Center of the East Bay. The person should call RCEB at 510-383-1200 to get information and learn about the many services available through the Regional Center. Thanks. Barbara (June 2002)
    The West County Older Adults Clinic (510) 3743629 has a very good support group for children of aging parents. The social worker provides information and guidance on where to go to get legal advice when dealing with elderly parents. I attended the support group for two sessions and from my experience I can tell you that there is not much you can do about the situation unless you can convince a judge that your father is incompetent. They helped me discover that there is only so much I could do. (April 1999)
    Through the Looking Glass (848-1112) and the Center for Independent Living (841-4776) are excellent resources in Berkeley. TLG is specifically for parents with disabilities. CIL has a broader reach. As you may know, Berkeley is a national center for outreach and support for disabled people. Good luck, and I think you are doing a wonderful thing. (April 1999)
    UCB Parents Home Page UCB Parents Recommendations UCB Parents Advice

    The opinions and statements expressed on this page are those of parents who belong to the UC Berkeley Parents Network and should not be taken as a position of or endorsement by the University of California, Berkeley.