I have terribly itchy ears. I've tried hydrogen peroxide,
candling, leaving them alone, a&d ointment, and those asian ear
cleaners. They're very waxy and distractingly itchy. Does
anyone have any suggestions for this? Is it possibly fungal?
What can I do for relief? I've mentioned it to both Western and
non-Western doctors, but nobody seems to take it too seriously.
Meantime, I can think of little else some days!
Any ideas, anyone?
Itchy and scratchy
I am a vet, and in animals with itchy ears I immediately think
of food allergies. The animals often have secondary yeast
infections that need to be treated also, but with ears that itch
before or between infections definately allergies and usually
food related are the focus. I have had some clients when I talk
about the problem in their pet mention that they had the same
trouble. Don't know if there are any studies of it in people,
but you may want to play with your diet and see if it makes any
difference. (In animals, the allergens are usually the really
common things like beef,corn, wheat, etc and it can take up to 6-
8 weeks for the itching to fade after you stop a food.)
Pets sometimes teach us things
Itchy ears could be due to a food allergy. It could also be some
other kind of allergy. Maybe pets, mold, new carpet, new car,
perfume, ammonia, bleach, etc.
Thanks for writing -- I've suffered from this problem on and off
for years! Annoying, isn't it? Others have indicated that
allergies can set this off, and I agree with that theory, but
don't have the time right now to hunt out and evaluate the
root causes. I think stress is the bigger factor. I've just
experienced great relief from this problem, courtesy of my
dermatologist Dr. Christine Avocoff (physician with Dr. William
Crain on Webster Street in Oakland). In my case, it's seborrheic
dermatitis. I got some great medications that seemed to take
effect immediately. Here's hoping the relief is long-lasting.
If you have other forms of dermatitis (exzema, skin sensitivity,
etc.) then medication might really help you out. Don't wait;
this can get painful if it's aggravated. (Ouch...)
Your itchy scratchy friend
Has anyone had problems with their kid being allergic to
My 3-month-old has developed an itchy rash on her neck and
shoulders -- she's scratching a lot but she hasn't gone off her
food or sleeping, so it's not bothering her hugely, but she's
scratched until the skin is all red. It feels like a sweat rash
or something, not like poison oak, and it's a dry rash.
I bought her a new blanket sleeper, one of those ones like a
little sleeping bag with shoulders on it, about a week ago, and
she's had the rash noticeably for 4-5 days. I'm wondering if the
chemicals in the flame-retardant are irritating her skin. She
hasn't previously slept in anything treated with flame-retardant.
I laundered the sleeper before I put her in it.
You didn't mention whether the sleepwear you used was cotton,
which is treated with flame retardant to meet government
sleepwear standards, or the more usual polyester children's
sleepwear, which is inherently flame-retardant (without the
addition of chemical treatment). Either way, I wouldn't be
surprised if the rash is a reaction to it. Has your child ever
had an eczema rash (from foods, for example)? My highly food-
allergic niece can wear only 100% cotton (untreated), or she
breaks out in a rash. I guess the easy way to tell is to stop
using the sleepwear, see if the rash improves, then try again
and see if it returns. Somewhat scientific, anyway.
By the way - CLOSE-fitting cotton is less likely to burn than
loose garments, and wool is naturally less flammable.
Here is just a thought. Does your baby sleep with you? I
find, especially now that it is starting to get warmer, that
when I fall asleep with my little ones in my arms (resting
their head on my arm) they get heat rash right in that area you
are talking about. I try to remove my arm and just let them
rest on the bed to avoid this. I also double rinse all our
clothes just to be safe.
Wow, it sure sounds as if your child is irritated by the flame-retardant -
those are rather dangerous chemicals--I don't think I'd want them near my
child! I'd recommend getting a regular, non-treated sleepware item, the flame
retardant *can't* be good for him, even if it *isn't* the cause of the rash.
And, if you think about it, how much can it really protect your child, anyway?
If there's a fire in your house, a fire alarm is going to keep him much safer
than the fire-retardant sleepwear (which wouldn't stand a chance against a real
fire), so you don't really need the chemicals.
this page was last updated: Jun 13, 2004
BPN is now a 501(c)(3) non-profit and we are building a new website!
Read more, and see how you can help:
The opinions and statements expressed on this website
are those of parents who subscribe to the
Berkeley Parents Network.
Disclaimer & Usage for
information about using content on this website.
Copyright © 1996-2014 Berkeley Parents Network